As the only GIS employee in my town* (the only one with "GIS" in my job title anyway), I am often isolated from what other people are doing - both here in City Hall and among the other city or town GIS specialists. It's up to me to determine my priorities and what projects to take on, except of course when I'm responding to mapping emergencies which take up much of my time. I often wonder if there are better things I can or should be doing with my time. What are you doing at the moment?
I'll start with my task list for this week - keep in mind that many of these are ongoing projects and not things I expect to finish this week. Please tell us about your projects.
1. New web page update for the Assessor's Database from Applied Geographics - testing performance and server maintenance, some parts of the app still don't work, keep reminding them of this.
2. The Assessor's Database (Vision) app. Vision has a GIS piece. It is an old MapObjects piece with no easy access to the configuration files. The addresses are displayed using an Annotation coverage. The coverage has been updated but needs some tweaks because the display is off (numbers are shifted to the lower right or SE of where they should be).
4. ESRI's Community Maps
project. We are participants - or will be.
5. Post some content to the Eastern Mass Group Forum - doing that right now.
6. Street Light Viewer - a MapObjects application used in our call center and DPW. Need to add content for Gas Lamps and Specialty Street Lights as these are maintained differently from the regular street lights.
7. Newton History Museum - will be having a map exhibit this fall,. Need to set up some test online content and later some on-site content.
8. Water System Edits - several years worth of new pipes need to be entered. The DPW should do this but they don't so I do it or we look bad.
9. Building updates - new construction, most notably the new Newton North High School which we still don't have a digital plan for despite the
fact that it is now built.
*Newton, Mass is a "City", some of you are in "Town"s- I use the term "town" for simplicity.